Monday, November 17, 2014

Simple and Sweet Baby Afghan Pattern and Tutorial


It's baby-palooza in my neck of the woods.  So many friends are having babies and I would love for each one of them to have a special hand made gift from me.  I love handmade gifts for babies for so many reasons.  They are frugal but don't have to look like it. They are a special way to tell the new little one (and mama!) that they are so loved and cherished that you spent a commodity greater than money.  You spent TIME crafting a gift as one of a kind as they are.  While I am taking that precious time to create the gift I like to offer special prayers for the family.  The rhythm of crochet lends itself to prayer and meditation, its the reason so many people enjoy it so much.

As much as I would love to devote hours and hours special intentions for each brand new human.... I have a brand new human of my own to care for (and laundry to fold).  I have a go-to baby blanket pattern that I have used many times but I was looking for something new.  Something that can be done quickly and without too much counting or thought.  I sometimes only get a few minutes to crochet at the end of the day, the last thing my tired brain needs is a complicated pattern.  Bonus points its worked up all in one color so I don't have to go back and weave in ends.

I created this pattern for my most recent baby blanket.  The pattern is very easy.  Repetitive enough that I can work on it without it taking my whole attention but no so repetitive that it's... well, repetitive.




This pattern uses US crochet terms.  The finished size is around 30 inches square.  You can adjust the finished size by adjusting the foundation chain and the number of rows.  Materials needed are: 14 ounces worsted weight yarn (I used Bernat Satin in color Fern), size I crochet hook, yarn needle and scissors.

Special Stitches
Double Crochet 3 Together (dc3tog)
Yo, insert hook into the first st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops on the hook.  You have 2 loops on hook.  Yo, insert hook into the next st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull thorough 2 loops on the hook.  You have 3 loops on the hook.  Yo, insert the hook into the next st, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops on the hook.  You have 4 loops on the hook.  Yo and pull through all 4 loops on the hook.

Foundation
Ch 134 (or any multiple of 3 + 5)
Row 1: Skip first 4 ch from the hook, *dc3tog over the next 3 ch, ch 2, repeat from * to the end of the foundation ch.  Dc in the very last ch of the foundation chain.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in the first ch 2 sp, *3 sc in the next ch 2 sp, repeat from * across, 3 sc in the last space made by the turning ch.
Row 3:  Ch 4, skip the very first st, *dc3tog over the next 3 st, ch 2, repeat from * across, dc in the last sc.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 ending on row 3 for a total of 72 rows or until the project is as long as you like.
Finishing:
Sc around all four sides as a simple border.  To begin, ch 1 to ease around the corner.  Working down the first side work 2 sc around the dc at the ends of row 3 and 1 sc in the ends of row 2, ch 1 to ease around the corner.  Along the bottom edge work 1 sc into the remaining loop of each ch of the foundation ch, ch 1 to ease around the corner.  Work up the other side as you did the first side, ch 1 to ease around the corner. Working along the top edge, put 3 sc in each ch 2 sp, sl st into the beginning ch1 of the border, fasten off.  Weave in ends.


Here is a close up photo of the beginning of row 3 to show exactly where you will start.  I hope this helps :)




This pattern and tutorial is my own creations.  Please credit me as designer and link to the original pattern or video when sharing.  This pattern is available at no charge to you for your own personal use, to make a gift, or to donate.  I ask that you do not sell finished items and do not sell this pattern or claim it as your own.  Thank you

You may also be interested in
Rainbow Swirl Bonnet
Baby Teether Toys
Spiral Baby Mittens


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this video. I have been working on it as my first real project. Glad to have the video as I have worn it out playing it over and over. My blanket is shrinking in width. I counted the "wholes" there were 43 in my first row and 40 on this one. I have done about 20 of the 2 rows combined. Can't figure what I did wrong. Any suggestions? ( I meant holes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely you missed the last dc at the end of a row. Count the holes in each row until you figure out which row you lost your first hole and see if the end of that row looks the same as the other rows. There is not much you can do to fix the problem except pull all the rows out until you get to your mistake and start again from there. It stinks, we have all been there.

      Delete
  2. I love this pattern and would like to make it for a friend's new grand baby. I'm a beginner (I've done a few things but still am learning) and this will be my first baby blanket. How much yarn should I purchase? I know you want to get enough yarn for your project because of dye lots. Thank you for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Judy. I'm doing this project myself and in the section that says "materials needed are etc" you need 14 ounces. I just bought 4 skeins that are 4.25oz each for a total of 17 ounces. So you'll just need a combination of 14oz the yarn you want to use. Hope that helped.

      Shani :)

      Delete
  3. Love this pattern. Thank you for sharing. I really learned from your tutorials. He go over each step enough times any sound so patient. Thanks for your time and effort with all this work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this pattern. Thank you for sharing. I really learned from your tutorials. He go over each step enough times any sound so patient. Thanks for your time and effort with all this work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like many of the others that commented, I too am a beginner. I made this blanket for my grandson and it came out very nice. I used two colors of yarn so I think it is adorable! I certainly made a bunch of mistakes and found myself taking rows and rows out to find the problem. At the end of it all it looks great but doesn't fold together perfectly because my square decided to do it's own thing :) I am going to attempt another blanket for my great niece because it is a very easy pattern to follow and it looks very nice. Do you have any ideas about how I screwed up? I'd really like to get it right the second time around :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss. I am sure, some how, she sees it and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the tutorial! It is my first blanket. Is it possible to add a triangle picot boarder? I am gifting this for a special friend. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know how many of do if I wanted to start with a single or double foundation chain? I'm still new to crochet but I find my efforts stay more square and not catterwonked if I start with a foundation chain instead of chaining the multiple plus whatever the pattern says. Great pattern and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you help me determine how much yardage I would need to make a blanket with this pattern that would need the chain to be 402 + 5 to cover width of bed and that is about the same to cover the length of the bed? Thank you

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little corner of the web. I love to share things I make and ideas I have. I hope you enjoy!